Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Reading Deprivation

Last post I mentioned the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. She talks about how to bring out your creative side, and one of her "requirements" is to write everyday. (She says to write 3 pages, but I'm pleased if I finish 1 page each day.) One thing this writing accomplishes is to "unblock" your creativity. In other words, you're supposed to write about all the things, people, circumstances that are keeping you from being creative, so that once you've written about them, you've moved them out of your way and voila! you're free to be creative.

But, then she goes a little far and says that one thing that blocks creativity is too much reading! So, she recommends a season of reading deprivation so your mind can think about the things you want to create instead of focusing on what other people have created. Actually, I have to admit that she makes a good point. I find that I can really become wrapped up in a good book, or in a series of good books. Like lately! She doesn't say this deprivation has to be long term but until you've spent some time "creating" and you're no longer blocked.

I was giving some serious thought yesterday to trying this, but then because of a new tutoring student starting today I had to read Lord of the Flies last night. (It's amazing I'd never read it before because it seems to be required reading for many high school students. I think that trend may have started in the late 60's after I was out of high school.) But, I was able to finish it in less than 24 hrs. So, now, I'm back to considering the deprivation thing. I'm not going to give up my day-to-day readings that I'm already committed to, but I may have a season (a short season) with no "pleasure" reading. (Not that my day-to-day reading isn't pleasurable--maybe frivolous would be a better adjective--for the reading I'm giving up, that is.)

Hmmm--what will I do with that extra time? Is there something creative I should be working on? We'll see! I do have a sewing project started, or some knitting, or maybe I could do some creative cooking, or work in the yard, or. . . . .

If you have an opinion about the reading deprivation, let me hear it.

Have a great day!

8 comments:

Susanne said...

Reading is the most creative thing I do! Don't give it up, Margaret, not even for a season. Who will I talk to about my "favorite books".

Michelle Traudt said...

I'm always trying to find time TO read, I tend to do too much thinking and not enough reading at times. Very interesting thought though.

herry said...

bridal online shop bridal gowns wholesale wedding dresses high quality bridal gowns wholesale custom wedding dresses wedding apparel wedding dresses top sellers wedding dresses2010 new arrivals 2010 new arrivals wedding dresses beach wedding dresses Luxury Wedding Dresses plus size wedding dresses wedding party dresses bridesmaid dresses junior bridesmaid dresses flower girl dresses mother of bride dresses wedding shoes wedding bags wedding accessories evening dresses prom dresses cocktail dresses quinceanera dresses little black dresses

teresa said...

Wedding Dress Wedding Dresses Wholesale Wedding Dresses Cheap Wedding Dresses Bridal Online Shop 2010 New Styles Alexia Designs bridal gowns Alfred Angelo bridal gowns Alfred Sung bridal gowns Aliska K bridal gowns Allure Bridals bridal gowns Alyce Designs bridal gowns Demetrios bridal gowns Dere Kiang bridal gowns Divina Sposa bridal gowns Do You Love Me bridal gowns Dolce Jovani bridal gowns Eden Bridals bridal gowns Ella Bridals bridal gowns Ella Rosa bridal gowns Emerald Bridal bridal gowns Enzoani bridal gowns Essense of Australia bridal gowns Eternity bridal gowns Forever Yours bridal gowns

teresa said...

Satin & Lace mother of bride dresses Satin & Organza mother of bride dresses Satin & Taffeta mother of bride dresses Taffeta & Chiffon mother of bride dresses Taffeta & Lace mother of bride dresses Taffeta & Organza mother of bride dresses Sleeveless mother of bride dresses Cap Sleeves mother of bride dresses Short Sleeves mother of bride dresses Elbow Sleeves mother of bride dresses Three Quarter Sleeves mother of bride dresses Long Sleeves mother of bride dresses Beading mother of bride dresses Sequin mother of bride dresses Sash mother of bride dresses Flower mother of bride dresses Beading & Sequin mother of bride dresses Beading & Flower mother of bride dresses Beading & Lace mother of bride dresses Applique mother of bride dresses

teresa said...

bridal gowns beach wedding dresses couture wedding dresses destination wedding dresses informal wedding dresses bridesmaid dresses mother of bride dresses cocktail wedding dresses evening gowns quinceanera dresses wedding dress wedding dresses wholesale wedding dresses cheap wedding dresses bridal online shop

teresa said...

wedding dress wedding dresses wholesale wedding dresses cheap wedding dresses bridal online shop Bridal Gowns bridesmaid dresses Mother of Bride Dresses Flower Girl Dresses Prom Dresses Plus Size Wedding Dresses Beach Wedding Dresses Couture Wedding Dresses Destination Wedding Dresses Informal Wedding Dresses Modest Wedding Dresses Traditional Wedding Dresses Junior Bridesmaid Dresses Cocktail Dresses Evening Dresses Homecoming Dresses plus size prom dresses Quinceanera Dresses

asdf963 said...

their grand entrance matched their fun personalities perfectly bridal gown takes me through the list of treatments I’ll be ‘testing’ in the name of designer wedding dresses bridal beauty research discount wedding dresses First I try the ginger and lime ritual scrub dresses for wedding featuring an all over body exfoliation. Designed to improve circulation and bridal shop